Tuesday 16 February 2010

write about a time some failed to live up to her or his reputation

I felt my knees wobble as my hands began to tremble in fear. My eyes slowly began to widen. My head began to move from left to right as it slowly began to gain momentum. My legs could not hold my body weight any longer and they began to give way. I knelt down to my sisters legs. Buckets of tears filled my eyes as I looked up to my sister and said, “Lisa, you have let me down.”

I liked Lisa from the very moment I knew her. Not only was she my sister, she was such an inspiration to many. She would volunteer at orphanages and hospital. She would lend a helping hand whenever needed. She never failed to smile no matter what situation she was presented with or how bad her day was going. She was my hero; my idol. In school, a lot of kids envied me for having such a wonderful sister. During recess, a few students would surround me and listen as I boasted about my sister’s achievements and the number of things she has done for me.

I never thought in a million years that my sister would do anything wrong. I thought of her as the perfect human being. Little did I realize that that I was in for a big surprise. One day, as I was walking home I heard a strange noise coming from a hidden corner. I headed in the direction of the noise to find out was going on. As I got closer, I heard sounds of laughter and chatters. I saw a couple of teenaged looking students smoking what looked like drugs. I took a step forward to try to identify the students’ faces to see if there was anyone I knew. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. To my utter dismay, I saw Lisa, my elder sister.

“Lisa!! I don’t understand; how could you be doing something like that?” I said agitatedly as I threw my hands in the air.

Lisa responded calmly, trying to get me to cool down, “it’s not the way it looks, anyway you won’t understand.”

“Then explain,” I cried out, pacing up and down, “I want to know exactly what is going on!”

Never in a million years would I have expected her to do something like that. She was my role model and hero but all that just changed in one day. From that day I learned that a reputation that has been built over so many months or years can be crushed within a few minutes.